Wednesday, June 2, 2010

sewing and i...

Dear Sewing from Patterns,

You irritate me. Pictures do not often come out quite the same in the pieces. Gathering fabric is weird and upsetting to pin and baste, because it doesn't seem like it's going to look nice, but then it does look nice and I am thrown off. I get too stuck in wanting to be just like the pictures and it makes sewing stressful instead of kinda fun and creative.

Now, I know that you help me to be happier with what I sew. In the end, I'm way happier with you than with refashioning, usually. (Except when you really mess with me and end up looking terrible / when I don't follow directions). You are teaching me a lot, and I appreciate that. Maybe someday we can be best friends. I think once I am better at this sewing thing, we will be. I have faith in us.

Just know that you're not my favorite ever right now.

With love maybe someday,
Lindsay

Anyway, even though sewing from patterns is frustrating and hard for me to keep to, I did do a little bit of work today on that shirt. Then the cranky set in and I had to put it down. It's better for everyone that way.

Got laundry done! I am the best. Three loads worth of awesome.

I think another reason I'm frustrated with sewing, now that I'm thinking about it, is because I have way too many projects I want to do, and sewing a shirt from scratch takes a hell of a lot longer than sewing a skirt from a dress. A lot less attention to detail is necessary for that and the instant gratification is a lot more instant. I am someone who likes to see results, and sewing from patterns takes me sooooo much longer to do than refashioning old clothes. Speaking of, I have at least seven pieces in my closet (thanks Sarah, for your grandma's dresses!) waiting to be refashioned. I have tons of fabric from my grandma's house and tons of patterns. I have a bag full of high school t-shirts and fleece waiting to be turned into a t-shirt blanket. There are too many projects I want to do, so when one takes a little longer I get frustrated and just stop being inspired with that one and thinking too much about other things I want to do. Which means I get nothing done.

OOPS.

Note to self: finish sewing your darn shirt so you can move on. It could be fun. Attitude is everything, right?

Speaking of, I'm working from this pattern: McCalls 5388. It's not hard, but it is time-consuming. No ruffles and no sleeves, so it's in Quadrant III, for all you math nerds.

No comments:

Post a Comment